Error: The device does not support creating a render target of the given format

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM
I installed all of prereq stuff and deleted the fireflykey file.  Cranked up VS2008 and compiled everything fine.  When I try running the SceneManagerTest project it crashes in the SkyDome.cs file on line 560.  I get the following error message: The device does not support creating a render target of the given format.  I'm guessing it has to do with my stinky graphics card in my laptop.  It's a year old Toshiba Satellite running Vista Ultimate that can barely run Halo.  I'm also running the Intel Mobile 945 Express Chipset Family.  I looked up the error message but really couldn't find an answer.  I also tried changing the SurfaceFormat to a couple of other settings with no luck.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM
Well this just goes to show I need to do more hardware testing with the engine.  I will look into this, we have not gotten around to making the engine scalable for different type of hardware but maybe this is a good time to start doing that :).  I will take a look at this problem and see what I can come up with, off of the top of my head you might try surfaceformat.rgb32 and see if that helps, or maybe rgb16.

Mike
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM
Thanks Mike - I guess I should have started with the lowest possible value and worked my way up until it broke.
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Did you try running it from my branch?  The filekeys are already deleted, and I put in support for the older video cards.
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Firefly runs fine on my Desktop, but fails on my laptop, which has the same chipset as above, so I started going line by line, component by component.

Changing the SurfaceFormat to SurfaceFormat.Color gets past the creation of the RenderTargets...

But it turns out we can only support a single rendertarget on this chipset, so we'll keep failing on the Skydome component which uses two of them. (The Index out of range error is from the SetRenderTarget(1, mieRT) call in Urban's Skydome component in the UpdateMieRayleighTextures function.)

Not sure if you can work around this...
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM
Sodoshi,

I actually have been looking at that problem and have a couple of ideas of how to get around that problem.  Hopefully soon I will have better support for older hardware.  Its a big task, but rest assured I am working on it :).  I do appriciate any input you may have on the subject though.
Jan 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Excellent news! I'm really liking the work you've done. I'm spending all my time these days trying to fix animated models in XNA 3 (Although I'm praying the new version of Milkshape with XNA 3 model support lands soon!) but I'd love to assist in Engine coding later. My task for today is to merge Bruno's FBX-based Animation library into Firefly so I can have characters running around...
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Tried battling away to get Firefly working on the Intel cards. Almost there, but just have to work a way to get the Scattering.fx PS_UPDATE() to work in PS_2_b instead of PS_3_0
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:13 AM
Good luck with that one, the scattering shader uses a few of the groovy features of PS 3 which are much more of a pain in 2.0.